You can also listen to the article
The Open Chapel in Dzibilchaltun was built at the end of the 16th century, in 1592 and continued to function until the seventeenth century.
It has a middle point arch, a half-barrel vault, a sacristy, an altar, an atrium, a room for priests and a cloister that It communicates with the cenote of Xlacah.
The most unusual thing about The Open Chapel in Dzibilchaltun is that it was built in the center of the main esplanade with the original Mayan buildings still standing. The Spaniards usually destroyed or dismantled all the prehispanic temples.
It’s impressive to see in the middle of an archaeological zone the vestiges of a
Mayan open chapels
The open chapels are the place where the Franciscans officiated the Masses in Latin and practice the evangelization of the Mayans.
They built them when they realized that the natives used to hold meetings of a religious nature in the open air and not in closed venues, such as it was the catholic temples.
Physical description of the Open Chapel in Dzibilchaltun
The chancel of the chapel is enclosed on three sides by double masonry walls filled with broken stone and cancab mortar. It’s roofed by a simple barrel-vault. There’s also a doorway leading to the apparently never completed foundations of another small room which would probably have been used as a choir or baptistry.
North of the chapel is a small rectangular structure which was probably the curate’s residence. Slightly farther north are the remains of a long-thatched building where the caretaker and his family probably lived. The remains of atrium walls are plainly visible on the north, south, and east sides of the chapel.